I love my Monday's off from work! It is my day with Dawson with usually little interruption. It is also a wonderful time for me to get a ton of things accomplished which makes the rest of the week run a little smoother. One thing I have learned from my dear mom is to plan meals ahead of time. I have started planning 2 weeks of meals prior to my grocery shopping. Chris, Dawson and I attempt to go on a Sunday evening when the store is quieter. We have our list and go to town...nice to get it all done. Of course I usually have to make a trip on our off week of shopping for milk but is nice to just have to grab one thing!
This Sunday we had a birthay party to go to in the late afternoon. Being I had the meals planned for the week, I threw all my ingredients in the crock pot for wild rice hot dish (the Minnesota favorite). By the time we got home, dinner for one night of the week was ready. The great thing about this recipe is it makes enough to serve 8-10 people. However, since there are only 3 of us, I use the rest of the rice (with great flavor already) for my creamy chicken wild rice soup. So, I divided out the rice, and popped it in the fridge for today.
When I got up today, I chopped my green & red peppers, zucchini, carrots, and onions for my soup, and for chili. Then I made a HUGE pot of chili. When Dawson was down for his nap, if finished making the soup. I am about to put a loaf of bread in the oven for this evening as well. So, now for the rest of the week when I arrive home from work, I can just heat up a meal of our choice...W/R hot dish, W/R soup, Chili! Love this time saver!! Plus there is enough to either, freeze, or left overs!!!
This Sunday we had a birthay party to go to in the late afternoon. Being I had the meals planned for the week, I threw all my ingredients in the crock pot for wild rice hot dish (the Minnesota favorite). By the time we got home, dinner for one night of the week was ready. The great thing about this recipe is it makes enough to serve 8-10 people. However, since there are only 3 of us, I use the rest of the rice (with great flavor already) for my creamy chicken wild rice soup. So, I divided out the rice, and popped it in the fridge for today.
When I got up today, I chopped my green & red peppers, zucchini, carrots, and onions for my soup, and for chili. Then I made a HUGE pot of chili. When Dawson was down for his nap, if finished making the soup. I am about to put a loaf of bread in the oven for this evening as well. So, now for the rest of the week when I arrive home from work, I can just heat up a meal of our choice...W/R hot dish, W/R soup, Chili! Love this time saver!! Plus there is enough to either, freeze, or left overs!!!
(CHILI)

5 comments:
Yum!! It all sounds SO very yummy!!
You are so smart to plan ahead! It does make things easier!
Mmmm! Tasha I am dying for your WR Hotdish recipe in the Crockpot! Let me know... that sounds sooo o good!
I usually cook 4 different meals in a day and freeze them on one portion servings, and for me, it lasts about a month or so. I save a ton of money this way, as each meal costs a little over a dollar instead of eating out at $3-$5 a pop! An added plus is that I don't have to cook and do dishes every day! Just pop it in the microwave and eat!
Doesn't it feel good to find shortcuts to make your life easier?
I can TOTALLY relate to how much you enjoy your day off! Although I have many of the benifits of a stay at home mom, I actually work about 30 hours each week. I too have to do a lot of planning ahead, and enjoy my time with Philip SO much!! Aren't little boys the best?!?!
hi natasha!
love your blog. i am having so much fun reading peoples blogs and getting ideas. i had always heard about prepping for the week, but never did. after having cayden i started to grocery shop for the week and preplan and wow were those women right-should have listened to them sooner:)
Post a Comment